THE fan blog
Contact: irina.stanescu@ymail.com
round minus
round plus

ROH vs RAH

.
A few weeks ago the program for BBC Proms 2011 was released. I almost fell off the chair when I saw that Martha Argerich is playing at the Proms on July 18 (Prom #5). It just happens that I'm in London in that period :) I've been trying to listen to her again since she came in Bucharest in 2007. For me she is the best in the world of piano music. She has a certain way of playing that is simply perfection and besides that she really makes you feel the music. She's 70 next month and she's still palying! It will be a great night at Royal Albert Hall.
.
Now, about my dilemma. Prom #2 is Rossini's William Tell, on July 16. Antonio Pappano is conducting the Orchestra of the Academy of Santa Cecilia. On the same evening, there's Madama Butterfly at ROH, without Patricia Racette. But there's Anthony Michaels-Moore.
.
What do you think? Where should I go?
.
Don't forget to check out the program at Proms. There's something for each taste.
.

7 comments:

  1. I have the same dilemma.
    When I bought the ticket for Madama Butterfly I didn't know about William Tell.
    I decide to see William Tell but I don't have any ticket yet.
    Arabella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the ticket for MB too. But RAH sounds better now. Considering you're coming too.. we'll run from Cendrillon to Will :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Butterfly without Racette has Amarilli Nizza, who is well worth seeing (she sang the part at La Scala).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would vote for Madama. I never saw a staging of this opera, so I decided to go to Madama Butterfly. Pappano will be in Bucharest in September so I won't regret missing William Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous: I have nothing against Mrs Nizza. It's just I wanted to listen to Patricia Racette. And she was supposed to sing on July 15, but this performance vanished from the calendar.

    @Bogdan: opera is more about the singers than the conductor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I am in the waiting room for the Proms booking.I have number ...4985!
    Arabella

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little bit in front of you :))

    ReplyDelete