THE fan blog
Contact: irina.stanescu@ymail.com
round minus
round plus

Angela Gheorghiu tells a story she loves about the Royal Opera House

.
In this long and very comprehensive article about many opera houses in the world. Gathered under the title Something completely magical, Andrew Clark (the writer), Natalie Whittle (the interviewer) and David Leventi (the photographer) explore the world of opera, seen from different points of view.
.
The last part of the article is a series of interviews in which a soprano, a mezzo, a tenor, a baritone, a technical director and an artistic director say why they love a particular opera house. Angela speaks of ROH. Everything important in my life happened in this theatre, she says. I met my love, my husband [the tenor Roberto Alagna], I made my first TV broadcast [a live BBC transmission of La Traviata].
.
The rest of the interview, in the article published in Financial Times
.
.
PS: I don't post articles all the time on the main page. But all of them are listed in the PRESS section. It's located on the right side of the page. Enjoy!
.

4 comments:

  1. I guess the Met is on the bottom of her list now-LOL. Didn't Roberto and her get married there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irina, what do you know about Angela's health? I am worried that she hasn't done a new opera since November 2010 (Adriana Lecouvreur) - none in 2011 and none planned for 2012! Do you know what's going on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting! Much appreciated!
    RY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe she is healthy enough for new roles. Sometimes I feel like waiting for something that will not happen... I am a such big fan of her but I would like her to take more risk and sing as much different roles as possible. When, if not now in her 40-ies and 50-ies?
    Some years ago she spoke about Amina (Sonnambula), Lucia, Don Carlo, Manon Lescaut and so many more... These roles are not mentiones any more. Carmne, i believe, won´t ever happen...
    Then you will find interviews where she mentiones Turandot, also Lady Macbeth (when her voice will darken), Norma.
    I believe she is the best Butterfly around, but not on stage.
    Will she sing Andrea Cheneir or some oterh verismo now? Who knows?!
    But as time goes bye, I see other singers that have not the voice and the technique to be a new Callas, but are starting to sing new roles with a lot of success (f.e. Netrebko; even if I am not her biggest fan).
    I love Traviata, Boheme and Tosca. But to get to see Tosca live you have to wait for years and have a lot of luck...
    I really wish her to sing more often and more different roles...

    ReplyDelete